Welcome to my Creative Blog. I'm now a "Retired" file designer.

I hope you find inspiration and lots of creative ideas when you visit my blog. Smokey is my sweet lil cat who LOVES to get into my scrap room and play with all my stuff!

I only ask that you do not trace my pictures or files. All content of this blog is protected by myfreecopyright.


Thanks for stopping by
Sharon (and Smokey too!)


Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Vintage Christmas Ornaments 2013 Tutorial


For the past few years.  I have made Christmas Ornaments for our tree. This year, I made these out of wood cut outs.  And love how these turned out.

This will be a long blog post with a tutorial, Do's and Don'ts and lots of pictures. 2 different methods. So lets get started.














                                                               Supply list below!

I used Christmas Emporium Collection by Graphic 45, but you can use any paper you like. I wanted a vintage look so used this collection. I also used a different paper for each of the 12 Ornaments.


 Cut a piece of paper just big enough to fit each ornament.


 Use Mod podge to paint on the front of the ornament and turn your paper over and lay painted side on. When totally dry. Use a craft knife with a new blade to closely cut around the edges.


 Use a Emory board to sand all the sides of the wood ornament and to file down any paper edges you didn't cut close enough or to round pointed edges. And it gives a nice finished look. If you use the Basic Grey precision file kit, You can use the small files to sand in small places like the antler ears.


 Next I used Vintage Photo distressed ink and a foam make up sponge to apply ink to the edges and back. (Later step for the back).

 These don't have holes so I used my Crop-A-Dile to make holes. I used the larger of the two hole punches.


 This step I did for the first try.  And let me tell you, You need to decide which way you want to go. I laid the pattern paper side down on the Xyron 900 refill. Cut the paper off, flipped it over, and rubbed it really good. Then cut around each ornament so I could work with them one at a time. You have to be really careful when you pull off the front paper. Make sure to hold the edge of the pattern paper or it will pull it right off.

 Then I laid them in my blue funnel tray and covered with glass micro beads. Pour a generous amount on. To make sure you get good coverage.

 I then turned over the ornament and pushed it down to make sure the micro beads stuck. And then hold and tap the side with your craft knife to remove the loose ones.


 This is what they looked like when you clean them off.  But! I found that just touching it. The micro beads fell off. So trying to save them. I then used Glossy accents over the entire top. It took a long time because you can not touch the beads. And I wanted to still feel the beads. So I worked in tiny sections and did a little box and then used the tip of the bottle to pull the sides together.  And when it dried. It was shinny, and you could slightly feel the beads. Some of the black ornaments look white even though they are fully dried.


 This is the second set. This one went much faster because I didn't have the Xyron and cover with glossy step. So as above. Paint on Mod podge, dry completely, cut around the edges and ink the edges. And punch the holes.(I forgot that step and did it last and it was fine).


 After you get them ready, I used a generous amount of Glossy Accents and a small paint brush and spread it all over the ornament (Make sure its thick) and then quickly pored the micro beads on. (Sorry for got that picture) And the micro beads seem to stick pretty good.


Tip for the backs.  The store stickers would not come off with out peeling in tiny peaces. So I tried using a heat gun and a small spatula. And it worked perfect.  So make sure you do that.  And then I inked the backs to give them a finished look.   Then add ribbon and other decorations of your choice. Use the lighter to heat seal the ends of the ribbon.  I wanted to keep them simple and vintage so only used a thin cream colored ribbon and some beads.

 If you have any questions, leave a comment.

Supplies used:
Graphic 45 ( Christmas Emporium Collection 2011 discontinued)
Mod Podge by Plaid
Glossy Accents by Ranger
Crop-A-Dile by We Are Memory Keepers
Basic Grey Precision File set
Vintage Photo Distress ink by Ranger and make up sponge
Wood Cut out shapes (Michaels or Joanns)
Clear Glass Micro Beads
Cricut Spatula
Craft Knife with new blade
Fire clicker / Lighter
Embossing Heat gun by Marvy
Blue Funnel Tray
Ribbon and beads
Xyron adheasive

Photobucket

2 comments :

Rebecca Wagner said...

These are awesome, Sharon! TFS!

Jill said...

Beautiful job, Sharon- your creativity is stunning as usual!