Welcome to my Creative Blog. I'm now a "Retired" file designer.

I hope you find inspiration and lots of creative ideas when you visit my blog. Smokey is my sweet lil cat who LOVES to get into my scrap room and play with all my stuff!

I only ask that you do not trace my pictures or files. All content of this blog is protected by myfreecopyright.


Thanks for stopping by
Sharon (and Smokey too!)


Monday, November 19, 2012

Sewing Project! Firewood Log Carrier Tutorial


It's pretty chilly here today in Florida.  It actually got cooler as the day went on.  At 12:00 it was 61 out side and 69 in the house.  So I had to turn on the heater and that got me thinking. 

Its going to be getting colder and we will be lugging wood in the house and I know my husband always struggles with it and only brings in like 3 or 4 at a time.

So I decided to do a little sewing project.  And I had the perfect material.  I try to go to the good will every other week. Its actually my favorite thing to do. Just wonder around and see what I can find, and love that I can get most things really cheap.


On of my "Always Check" things is the fabric bin.  1 yard is $1.17,   2 yards is $2.17, 3 yards is $3.17 and so on.  And some times you can get some really nice fabric.  I picked up this heavy duty upholstery fabric a couple weeks ago knowing I would do some thing with it. It was 1 yard so 1.17.  I went to day and found a nice brown corduroy material.  So got it.  And decided to go with the blue upholstery fabric.

I stopped at Lowes and picked up a 5/8 x 48 dowel  for $2.18.  After I left I though, Hm! I must have a old broom handle in the shed.  Any way, I was there to pick up some tiles for Christmas gifts.  So its was fine.  
This project cost me a total of $3.35 (Yay!)


Here is a tutorial with lots of pictures on how to make a "Firewood Log Carrier".


You need some heavy duty fabric like Upholstery fabric 1 1/2 yards.  5/8 or thicker dowel rod cut at 17 inches, you will need two.  And of course a sewing machine, pins and measuring tape. 
I cut my material to the size of 35 wide by 48 long.


I turned the material so right sides are touching and fold in half length ways. Then measure to find the center point and mark it. (You wont see these marks so don't worry about that) I put the measure tape here so you can see how I marked this.  The center point is where the 2 is. So I marked the end of the tape, (+) at the 1, 2 center, (+) at the 3 and mark at 4.   (+) marks are your cut marks.  See next picture. 


I used a marker to draw the lines as you see here. Remember you wont see these lines, they are on the inside 

Draw a line at the "End mark" and 4 and go down 6 inches. Then draw your 2 and 3 lines only going down 5 inches.  Then draw your line across to connect them. And draw a line where the corners meet.   You will Cut on your lines at 1 and 3 down to the 5 inch line then across.  After you remove that section. Cut the diagonal lines just down to the 6 inch line.   This creates your flaps to sew and makes your opening larger (4 inches wide open). After you have this done.  You will sew your seam down the side. Tie and cut your threads. And turn the right side out. And move on to next step below. 


After you sew your outside seam along the side (48 inch side) then turn right side out.  And you will fold your flaps inward so you don't see them from either side. So they meet inside and pin to hold it while you sew. Your finished opening will be 4 x 6 inches.  

I like to line up my material with the edge of the Presser foot.  This is the easiest for me to watch to make sure I sew straight. I think its about 1/4 inch from the edge and works good for me. I sewed the inside edge of the 4 x 6 opening. The red dot is a pin. Holding the two sides flush with each other till I sewed it. 


Now we are going to sew the top where the dowels will go. To do this. use a ruler or measure tape to fine your mark at 3 3/4 inches from the end. And place a pin there. (I used a piece of paper so you could see the markings on the ruler. 

You will next. Take the end and fold it over so the end touches the pin.  Then make sure that your two ends are lined up with the sides. And use pins to keep it secure till you get all four done.  When your done. You will then sew along this section to create your pocket to hold the dowels.  Remove pins and tie and snip your threads.  And your ready to now slide your dowel in the pockets.  And you will see you now have hand holes.  


This is what it should look like when your done and its now ready to hold some wood for your fire place. 


Pile your logs in the center and stack a good amount. Make sure they stay in the center. This makes it easier for the next step.


Now you just pull up the two sides and grab a hold with one hand and carry in the house.  I was holding this with one hand and camera in the other.  And that's it.  

I hope you enjoyed the tutorial and find this useful and make yourself one. My husband came home from work and I showed it to him and how much it holds and he was happy. I think he really liked this, knowing it will help get the wood in the house with out dropping half on the way in and getting all dirty. 

That's it for this tutorial.  
Thanks for stopping by!
Sharon 


Photobucket

No comments :