Welcome to my Creative Blog. I'm now a "Retired" file designer.

I hope you find inspiration and lots of creative ideas when you visit my blog. Smokey is my sweet lil cat who LOVES to get into my scrap room and play with all my stuff!

I only ask that you do not trace my pictures or files. All content of this blog is protected by myfreecopyright.


Thanks for stopping by
Sharon (and Smokey too!)


Sunday, July 31, 2011

Manatee Springs SP and Suwannee River

Our "StayCation"  as my husband calls it when you don't actually sleep away from the house. Really turned out to be a Stay home Vacation. LOL!

Hubby has to take 3 weeks vacation in the next month and a half or he looses the time. No pay no carry over.  But good thing is he get 5 more weeks in Sept.  But cant use those till after March of 2012.

So this week, as you know.  He has been home,  So that means no scrapping for me.  It feels odd to not have been in the craft room for over a week.  But that will change next week.  He goes back to work on Monday, So I can get back to my normal schedule. LOL!

Monday we were headed to the Beach, but it rained.  So Tuesday we took a long driving trip to some where we have never been. Funny how you live in a state for over 40 years and still dont see much of it.  So we like to do day trips every few months and see things we never seen.  Tuesday, we drove to Chiefland and checked out the The Lower Suwannee River Refuge so my Husband and Brother could register to get on the list to get one of the few passes available for Hunting this winter.  They are on the list, so they are very happy.  And yes, it stormed on the way there. My head was so full of pressure, felt my my brain was a balloon ready to pop and my face was so swollen.  But It got better as the storm passed.

While we were there, we checked out this cool bat house, but man does it smell even pretty far from it. LOL. Then we did a short trail.  Its a 1/3 mile to the River.  I cant walk much and forgot my cane. So my brother found me a really nice stick to use. That helped along with several stops and my inhaler.  It was a nice slow walk.  We were passed by several people but that was okay, On the way back, it started to rain, so we had no choice but to walk the trail in the rain.  We seen a black snake just on the side of the trail.  That was scary.

Hey, Look,  I figured out how to share a Picasa Slide show. I think.  LOL!



We left there, and drove down the road about 8 miles to the Manatee Springs State Park. We have never been there before.  And wow, is it beautiful.  Its was super cloudy and raining so my pictures are kind of dark.  But you can still see how pretty it was.

As we entered the gate at Manatee Springs SP.  While stopped at the station to pay to enter. Currently $6 a car load of 8 or less.  We were greeted by a family of deer.  A Dad, Mom and Baby.  So dang cute. Just walked across the road,  Looked at us and kept walking.  We got a shot of them in the woods as we passed.

We had packed a lunch to bring.  So we got out a blanket and hand lunch on the picnic tables right by the springs.  It was not packed at all,  We went July 26, dead of summer and there were only 4 cars in the parking lot,  And the camp ground wasnt even half full.  We then did the trail by the springs.  Checked out the canoe launch and walked along the springs to the Suwannee River.  It was so beautiful seeing all those Cypress trees.  Seen lots of blue gill fish in the springs.  

When we made it to the end of the boardwalk to the Suwannee River. We were standing on the boat dock and all these huge Sturgeon were jumping.  It was crazy.  These fish were about 4 feet long and jumping straight up in the air. And making huge splashes.  People were telling us about them jumping in your boats and Canoes. So dangerous.  Don't think we will be taking our boat out there.  I forgot my new camera has a HD camcorder on it.  Or I would of took a video.

We drove around the camp grounds to check it out, and they are pretty nice.  Some are bigger then others,  But let me tell you, The Bathroom are the cleanest bathrooms I have ever seen in a campground. Didn't see one bug in there.  The are super clean and shinny.  And have nice showers as well.

While standing in camp spot 61.  2 more deer walked right by us like it was nothing.  A few minutes later a couple more walked by.  From what I understand after talking to the Really nice ranger lady as the shack on the way out.  This is very common for the Deer to just walk though your camp site.  You just cant shoot them in the park.  They must know this, because they just walk right by you. lol.  Hey, did you know that if you are disabled you qualify for half off camping. Wow, that so helps budget. So we can camp for only $10 a night. You cant beat that.

To make it even funnier.  My husband and Brother are hunters, And all those deer were driving them nuts.  As we were leaving,  I caught this picture of a deer just walking across the street by the check in station.  As you can see, the gate is just behind the deer. So they know they are safe behind the fence. LOL!

My Hubby and Brother are hoping that the deer are that plentiful 8 miles up the road when they go hunting this winter.  I told them I would go with them camping at the springs this winter, But no way am I hunting Bambi.

Rest of the week has been busy working around the house, building a pantry in the laundry area which is located next to the kitchen.  It freed up a lot of needed kitchen cabinets. How do we collect so much kitchen stuff, Jeez!  I need to declutter and save the stuff for my son when he moves out.  Was headed fishing yesterday and today,  but of course it rained both days.  So I bet you , next week, will be hot and sunny. LOL!  I'm so resting today,  I'm super sore from the activity this week. I knew it would hit me soon.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.
Thanks for stopping by!
Sharon

4 comments :

ms.schwiet said...

We camp there every year, but since my hubby no longer works in Chiefland we won't go there. The park is awesome and that swimming hole has converted this beach girl to a spring girl. Sure it's super cool when you first get it but that does the pores good plus the rest of the day just doesn't seem as hot. Glad to hear I have a neighbor out there in scrap land

TonyaKaye said...

WOW! I love manatees! Did you get to see any? I have a guest bedroom that is decorated in Orcas and Manatees! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Sharon said...

No we didn't see any Manatees. That would of been nice.

Sharon

WaveRunners said...

Hi, Love your post. We have a house on the Suwannee. Going upstream, we are about 3 miles past Fanning Springs. Yes, All of the Springs there are very pretty, the Manatee and even the deer too. Love to look for gators on the banks. As for the sturgeon, I pray ea. time we go out on the river. Have had a few close calls. We go on long distance river runs at least 2-3 times per month. Enjoyed your article.