Welcome to my Creative Blog. I'm now a "Retired" file designer.

I hope you find inspiration and lots of creative ideas when you visit my blog. Smokey is my sweet lil cat who LOVES to get into my scrap room and play with all my stuff!

I only ask that you do not trace my pictures or files. All content of this blog is protected by myfreecopyright.


Thanks for stopping by
Sharon (and Smokey too!)


Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"Sew Easy" Tutorial Scallop Head

Have you all see this awesome sewing tool out by We R Memory Keepers.  One I'm a big fan of  "We R"  I have several things by them.  So knew this one would be awesome as well. 

I love to hand sew on my cards, its relaxing to me.  So I knew I just had to give these a try.  So I bought the Sew Easy (Video on that link) and just used it for the first time today.  And wait till you see this tutorial I did.  My layout turned out great.

This is a close up of the section I used my new "Sew Easy" on the layout I posted earlier. And I have to tell you, it was "So Easy" LOL.   That, I only have 4 of the heads and plan to get the rest. I love the new larger heads and the storage kit is awesome.  So on to the tutorial.

I was using "The Little Monsters" line by The Scrap Cake.  I love this paper.  Its double sided and really thick.  So with that in mind.  And wanting to sew two layers.  I used my ATG to just put adhesive in a square about 3 inches in from all sides.  This is so that the paper does not move. And you will not sew through the adhesive.  So it makes it a lot easier. As your needle wont get gummed up.  I ran the head I was using on a scrap piece of paper.  To get a feel for how hard to push and also for placement on my projects.
Next, I though about how I wanted this scalloped head to look and where to start on my paper.  So I got a black sharpie and position the scallop where I wanted it to begin, which was the beginning of the scallop.  You can see, I have the point in the center which is even with the holes on the side, but its hard to see, so I used the sharpie to make a little line on the green top sides to see it better.
 I used my sample run white cardstock to see where the placement would work for this size,  My top green paper is 10 x 10 so the scallops worked perfect from side to side, so the key to this one is whole inches. I then measured the width of the head,  The small ones are about 1/2 wide,  So I placed my paper on the "Sew Easy" Mat.  And you can see on the sides.  My Green paper is at the 1 inch line and my ruler is at the 1 1/2 line.   So I know that my green space is 1/2 inch.  And my "Sew Easy" will lay the pattern down about 1/4 inch from the edge.  You will see this in then next picture so you understand what I'm telling better.   So then Using my Clear thick ruler as a placement guide for a straight line.  I line up my mark I made with the edge, and stand it up and push down hard so the head buts up next to the ruler and just run it along the paper. Make sure to hold down your ruler really good.
Now, because I'm using thick double sided paper and its layered.  I knew this would not go through both.  So I used my paper piercer and a foam mat, to repunch the holes so they go all the way though and the needle goes though the holes faster.
Here you can see, I'm doing a easy stitch so it shows the sewing really good.  And all you do is start on the bottom of the corner, and go up and down all the way around.  And you can now see how the placement is perfect with the sewn part and the little bit of room left on the edge, so you can wet it and distress the edge if you like. 
Here you can see how the corners meet perfect with a little calculation.  All 4 corners meet perfect. I love how it turned out. 

When I use other heads and get the placement down. I will post tutorials on those as well.  I'm really going to work on getting the other heads and case as I think I'm going to be using this a lot. LOL!

Let me know if you like my tutorial.  And I apologize for the quality of these pictures. My camera is still acting up and I'm looking to get a new one in a few weeks.

Check the post be low for full layout page and the free Title file I posted.

Thanks for stopping by!
Sharon


8 comments :

Just Jaime said...

That is so cool! Thanks for sharing!

Kathy Serrahn said...

great tutorial.
I just got the new large heads for the sew easy and the case. real cool
thanks

Sue said...

Thanks for the great tutorial, I have the Sew Easy and a few of the heads but as yet haven't used it, think I will go give it a try! TFS!

Sue aka barracudasue said...

Super tutorial, Sharon! Thanks for all your details on it. I'm sure when I get my kit, more heads and case, this is going to be very useful! You ROCK!

Denise said...

Thanks for posting this Sharon! I think getting the foam mat will help me more..can you post the Vine next if you have it...lol ;)

Sharon said...

I dont have the vine, yet, but its on my list to get, Im looking for the best place to get it. I found it cheap, but their Customer service is not the best. So I would rather pay a little more for great customer service. I will keep yall posted.

Sharon

Cathie in UT said...

I am now kicking myself for not gettting when I saw a wonderful offer about a week ago but hoping there will be another one again in the near future.

Sharon said...

Check HSN, they did have a good deal with the new large heads. Also check the ebay seller, I posted a few post up. It was posted today. She has some and ships fast.

Sharon