Welcome to my Creative Blog. I'm now a "Retired" file designer.

I hope you find inspiration and lots of creative ideas when you visit my blog. Smokey is my sweet lil cat who LOVES to get into my scrap room and play with all my stuff!

I only ask that you do not trace my pictures or files. All content of this blog is protected by myfreecopyright.


Thanks for stopping by
Sharon (and Smokey too!)


Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wedding Cake Card Box

Wowzers! Has it really been 5 days since my last post, Jeez!.    I have so much going on these last few week.  Its just nuts.   

We are having the wedding at a family friends house.  So we went Sunday, and pressure washed the Pergola, White hanging swing,  and raked the yard that is totally shaded with oak trees.  Now we just need to paint, put down mulch and put in some pretty flowers as the frost here has turned every thing brown.   Got to throw down some rye grass as well, so it has a couple weeks to grow green.   The kids got their Marriage License yesterday,  Picked up the shoes we ordered and had died, and get home, and the shoes in the box are not the right size, so have to change them tomorrow.  Also changed the caterer, Oh well,  those of you that got Invitations, The caterer has been changed. 

Ok,  So on to the Wedding Cake Card Box.  My daughter wanted some thing besides just a basket to put cards in.  And she seen those card boxes at Joanns and Michaels in the Wedding section, and didnt like them.  So she asked me to make her one. 


The ribbon is sage and cream,  and the flowers are sage hydrangea, cream roses.  The bottom has some crystal garland.   The title " Bride & Groom" and "Card Box"  are done in 3 layers.  First layer is Bazzill Bling Glass Slipper.  Second is Cream Recollection and last layer is Bazzill, No sure of the color, but its close to sage.

 

This is a close up of the Title, and here you can see the beautiful paper I special ordered.  Isn't it gorgeous.  We wanted this to look like a real cake, so wanted it to be embossed like fondant would be.   I knew I wouldn't be able to get the look I wanted with Cuttle bug embossing folders.  As they are to small.  I went to ever store in town looking for embossed paper.   I found some extra large embossing sheets at Joanns in the Wilton's cake section, that just might work, but heck, that would be a lot of work.  So I went online, and found this beautiful wall paper at Home Depot.  It was $19.99 a roll.  And one roll was plenty.  And think it was perfect for this project.


This is the Hydrangea and rose. I hot glued them on,  and then added a half pearl to the Hydrangea to make it a little prettier.

This is the crystal garland around the bottom and one of the baby cream roses.



This is the back of the bottom box.  All these Wedding Cake Card boxes we have seen on the net, have been attached with the bottom box held on with a ribbon that comes up from the bottom up to the top and wraps like a bow.  Well, we didn't like that look.  So I thought about it, and came up with this idea,  and it worked out pretty good.

what I did was, I cut the sides of the top lid, and then made a slit on both sides of the bottom and wapped the entire box. and inside the bottom as well. Then put velcor circles all along the inside of the top flap so when closed, it attaches to the bottom flap to keep it closed,  Then just open and take out the cards.

My daughter loved how it turned out, Im very pleased with my first attempt at this as well.  So nice to have some thing customized.  Total cost was about $50.  And countless hours. 

Cutter file freebie:  I had designed a valentine file for my DH card.  But Im having blade issues with all the cutting I have done over the past 14 months,  So ordered a few new ones today, and will be here tomorrow.  So I can test cut the file.  You all know me by now, I dont post any file with out test cutting first. So when I get it cut with the new blade I will post it for yall.   So be on the look our for a freebie file in the next couple days.

Thanks for stopping by!
Sharon

10 comments :

Val from Oz said...

What a beautiful job your daughter & fiance should be sooo pleased your work as usual is so inspiring Thanx!!!!!

Sharon said...

Aw! Thank you so much Val for the wonderful Comment.

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Awesome box. What a lot of work. And, it shows! You've done a tremendous job on this!

shortcuts said...

Beautiful!!

Sharon said...

Thank you for all the wonderful comments. It means a lot to know others love our creations.

Thanks for stopping by!
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an absolutely beautiful card box. It is very obvious that many hours and lots of love went into making it. Your daughter is truly lucky to have a mother like you!
Julie

Cherbear said...

Love the card box! Awesome job!

Lynn C. said...

This box is fabulous, Sharon. I'm always in awe of your talent and willingness to share. What a treasure you are and an inspiration to the rest of us. Can't wait to see the Valentine's file for hubby.

Anonymous said...

should a coupe have a card box if they have been married before?

Sharon said...

I don't see why not. If your having a Wedding with Guest, they are more likely to bring Cards with gift cards or money as you probably already have every thing.

I feel its totally up to you, And you should enjoy your Wedding how ever you like.

Congratulations!

Sharon